- Academic Mentor: Work one-on-one with a motivated student to help them tackle their hardest subject. Training provided. Commitment: At least one semester, preferably entire school year. Meetings are one hour each week at either our Boston Campus or Cambridge Campus. View the Academic Mentor job description and application.
- Mock Interviews: Give our students the opportunity to practice interviewing in advance of their college admissions interviews or entrance to other academic enrichment programs.
- College Access Coach: Coaches work one-on-one to support students throughout the college application process, and specifically with writing admissions essays. Training provided. Commitment: One school year, approximately three hours per week. View the College Access Coach job description and follow directions to apply.
- Mentor a High School Intern: Host one of our committed students at your organization for 2-5 days a week for at least six weeks over the summer.
- Career Day or Panel: Expose our students to a range of professions by serving as one site on our annual career day or coming to speak on a panel about the highlights of your job and career path.
- Teacher Appreciation Dinner Host: Ensure our extremely hard-working teachers feel appreciated by sponsoring an end-of-summer dinner at a local restaurant.
PROJECTS AND ADMINISTRATIVE
- Office Projects: A range of administrative projects arise for which we need additional hands including mailings for families, newsletter distribution, and organizing portfolios of student work to share with interested visitors and supporters. Some projects can be done off-site.
- Event Volunteers: Assist with set-up, registration, clean-up for our three annual events; 1) Breakthroughs in Education in December, the Breakthrough Gala in April, and our Celebration events in August.
- Event Committees: Help shape our important annual events by finding venues, creating marketing plans and spreading the word, selecting food and décor, acquiring silent auction items, creating event materials and more!
- Host a House Party: Host a small group at your house or a local venue and introduce them to Breakthrough Greater Boston. We’ll be on hand to lead a conversation about the need for and impact of our work in Cambridge – and beyond!
- Special Student Lunch Host: Each week during the summer, our students enjoy a special meal provided by some of our community partners. You and fellow volunteers will bring and serve the meal and then sit and chat with our dynamic students and teachers.
We are often seeking donations of school and office supplies to ensure our students have what they need. Organize a drive at your office or out in the community!
For those with professional-level skills to share, we always need assistance with web design, photography, videography, graphic design and printing.
For further information on any volunteer opportunities, please call our office at (617) 349-6647, or e-mail email@example.com. Thank you in advance for your help!